Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Faithful Democrats' Chaplain of Death

Faithful Democrats sent out an email today announcing a new look for their website. They also announced Fellowships recognizing "top emerging leaders in America's progressive faith community."

One Fellow, Elizabeth B. DeGear, is described as "a pro-choice Catholic chaplain, wife, and mother of two. With degrees from Brown University (B.A. 1990, magna cum laude and phi beta kappa) and Fordham University (M.A. 2001). . ."

Her article, "We know Christ transcends death, but can Christ transcend choice?" is the most read feature at the site, excerpt:

. . .To those who say, "Some choices are so obvious God doesn't need us to make them on an individual basis, we know how God wants everyone to act." I say, "Then why do we have the story of Abraham and Isaac?" Why is Abraham, the one who was willing to terminate his child's life, the spiritual father of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim faiths? . . .

Each time, my commitment to bear my children (and my husband's commitment to parent them) was a process that unfolded. Knowing I had the choice to say ‘yes' or ‘no', I had to dig deep. What unfolded was a glorious "hineni". Here I am Lord! I absolutely believe that my response - born of struggle and doubt and discernment -- came from so deep that its truth infused my womb. Thus my children's first home was a place that said, "Yes to you!!" and taught them by example the wondrous fruits that come from saying, "Here I am Lord".

So can you see what could be lost if we legislate such discernment out of existence? Without the possibility of safely, legally terminating pregnancies we help to create womb-environments that say "Well you're here so I guess that's the way it's going to be, like it or not."

I really have no comment except - "Fordham?"