1. 305,310 - The number of abortions performed by Planned Parenthood for 2007/2008.
2. 0 - The number of live births facilitated at Planned Parenthood clinics for 2007/2008.
With that in mind, a Mother's Day appeal from Cynthia Nixon:
Working on Sex and the City was a wonderful experience, despite the long hours and hard work. But nothing could match the profound experience of being a mother — and the equally profound respect I've developed for my mother, and for mothers everywhere.
I am Cynthia Nixon. I am an actor, an activist, a mom, a daughter. But today, I am writing to you about motherhood, on behalf of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund and the many people who count on them.
The truth is, in my book, there is no organization that supports motherhood more than Planned Parenthood. That's why I'm honoring the moms I know with a gift to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund today.
It's not easy to be a mother these days. Believe me, I know I'm lucky — I've had help and support — including the amazing, strong woman who blazed her own path to raise me as an independent, bold woman.
That's what the Planned Parenthood Action Fund is all about, too — protecting access to reproductive health care and education that help women everywhere to be healthy and to thrive. And right now we need to do all we can to support them.
To me, it just makes sense: honor the courageous mothers who are raising kids, often in difficult situations these days, with a gift to the courageous organization that helps so many women.
As Mother's Day approaches, I am so grateful for the opportunity to make a difference and hope you'll join me. This Mother's Day, you can make your gift in honor of someone you love. And the fine folks at the Planned Parenthood Action Fund will send that special person a special card saying you've chosen to make a gift in her or his name.
You'll be making a gift to millions of mothers — and to a generation of daughters and sons. What a profound way to mark this day.
on behalf of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund
If these letters strike you as disingenuous given what Planned Parenthood actually does, let's look at the more frank appeals of their still-honored founder, Margaret Sanger:
- "Our failure to segregate morons who are increasing and multiplying ... demonstrates our foolhardy and extravagant sentimentalism ... [Philanthropists] encourage the healthier and more normal sections of the world to shoulder the burden of unthinking and indiscriminate fecundity of others; which brings with it, as I think the reader must agree, a dead weight of human waste. Instead of decreasing and aiming to eliminate the stocks that are most detrimental to the future of the race and the world, it tends to render them to a menacing degree dominant ... We are paying for, and even submitting to, the dictates of an ever-increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all."
- “Organized charity itself is the symptom of a malignant social disease. Those vast, complex, interrelated organizations aiming to control and to diminish the spread of misery and destitution and all the menacing evils that spring out of this sinisterly fertile soil, are the surest sign that our civilization has bred, is breeding and perpetuating constantly increasing numbers of defectives, delinquents and dependents.......to breed out of the race the scourges of transmissible disease, mental defect, poverty, lawlessness, crime … since these classes would be decreasing in number instead of breeding like weeds....such a plan would … reduce the birthrate among the diseased, the sickly, the poverty stricken and anti-social classes, elements unable to provide for themselves, and the burden of which we are all forced to carry”
- "We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don't want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population. and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members."
- "The marriage bed is the most degenerating influence in the social order."
- "The most merciful thing that a large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it."
- "Birth control must lead ultimately to a cleaner race."
- "Eugenic sterilization is an urgent need ... We must prevent multiplication of this bad stock."