Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Prolife Kudos for Michael Sean Winters at America

MSW at America today comments on a recent vote in the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee that could lead to federal funding of abortion in the health care reform bill. Earlier this week, we reported that Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) was the only Democrat on the committee to oppose the move. Winters likewise suggests that he should be thanked, which is a good idea by way of encouragement. Then Winters writes:
To be clear: I have never voted for a Republican in my life. My mother told me my right hand would wither and fall to the ground if I did. But, if the President or my representatives in Congress support federal funding for abortion in any way, shape or form, I will never vote for them again and I might risk my right hand in the next election by voting for their opponent.

So, call your Senators and Representatives. Call the White House. Many of us pro-life Democrats have given the President the benefit of the doubt on the abortion issue because of his repeated commitment to trying to lower the abortion rate, a commitment he reiterated to Pope Benedict XVI last week. All the good will he has earned among Catholic swing voters, and all the arguments on his behalf progressive Catholics have mounted, all could be swept away if abortion is part of a federal option in health care. Politics is the art of compromise, but on this point, there can be none.

I've voted for Republicans, Democrats, Independents and even a Green over the years, but I don't think I've ever linked to America except to complain. My right hand is intact.